CONCLUSIONS AND PRELIMINARY RECOMMENDATIONS
First we would like to highlight the participation of the authorities of the Dominican Government in this consultation, represented by the Ministry of Economical Planning and Development.
Likewise the support and the accompaniment of IBON/Reality of Aid and Better Aid.
This consultation has reaffirmed:
- The interest of the organizations of civil society, (CSOs), to participate in the follow-up evaluation of the agreements closed in international summits in relation to effectiveness of development cooperation.
- The call of civil society organizations to adopt the national strategy for development as the framework for reference and planning instrument for international cooperation for development, recognizing that such approval would constitute an important step forward with regards to compliance with the principle of ownership of the Paris Declaration.
- The potential of Dominican CSOs as actors of development, given their wide experience in the management of processes with community participation, the continues generation of innovative methodologies to address the problems and their creativity to be inclusive in the task of developing different levels.
The need has been expressed for:
- International cooperation to fully recognize and consider the situations of inequality in developing countries, as it is the case with the Dominican Republic, specifically in times of establishing classification criteria for the distribution of development cooperation resources.
- Establishing a permanent dialogue mechanism between civil society, agencies of international cooperation, (bilateral and multilateral), and the Government, which would have positive implications in coordination and programming of development cooperation, helping the country to move forward in the implementation of the principle of mutual responsibility of the Paris Declaration.
- In accordance with the Accra Agenda for Action, the corresponding recognition of civil society by international institutions of cooperation and the Government, in the context of the Dominican Republic, to deepen collaboration with CSOs as independent actors in their own right in the field of development, whose initiatives complement those of Governments and the private sector.
- International cooperation agencies and the Government to agree to the ownership of financial resources for programs and projects approved for implementation by CSOs.
- Donor agencies, (non-reimbursable cooperation), to promote the viability of the effective and efficient implementation of projects, recognizing the administrative costs and costs that require actions of transparency and accountability in the framework of their donations. This implies the systematization and dissemination of information and results.
- The Dominican Republic to recognize the potential of South-South cooperation as a strategic form of development cooperation, the country to Haiti in the process of reconstruction after the earthquake of January 2010 being a concrete example of this alternative form of international cooperation .
- To reaffirm the importance and necessity that developed countries honor their commitment to provide 0.7% of their GNP as international development cooperation to developing countries.
- The END, (Estrategias Nacional de Desarrollo) includes comprehensive mechanisms for participation of CSOs in concordance with the diversity as territorial and sectoral organizations, for the purposes of promoting greater integration and maximization of the potential of these organizations as actors of development.
32 Representatives of the National CSO Consultation in the Dominican Republic:
Alianza ONG, Junta Agro Empresarial Dominicana, REDOVU / UNV, CIMUDIS, Servicio Para la Paz, ADOPEM, FUNDAPEC, Red Nacional de Jóvenes, MOSCTHA, Patronato Nacional de Ciegos, Asociación Dominicana de Rehabilitación, Fundación Progressio, IDRI, Pro solidaridad, Hábitat para la Humanidad, BRA Dominicana, CODEMUSDE, FUNDETECA, Children International, CIPAF, Hogar, IDCP, Consultora Crea Dominicano, ADEVID, Centro Bonó, ADESJO, ADEMI, FUNGLODE, CEI-RD Fundación Santa Lola, COTEDO, Plan República Dominicana.