Date: 9 July 2021
Time: 7:30 – 9:00 AM New York | 7:30 – 9:00 PM Manila
The Covid-19 pandemic is an unprecedented global health crisis with impacts on economies and sustainable development of countries, especially in the Global South. Climate change is also making its impact felt, and its effects are becoming more catastrophic every year. Climate-induced resource shortages and widespread poverty are also fueling the escalation of conflict and fragility in many parts of the world. Covid-19 has made the situation worse, making ambitious actions to tackle the recovery agenda, conflict and fragility, and the climate emergency every more urgent and critical.
Covid-19 has rightly taken the main agenda of development cooperation. As countries emerge from lockdowns, there is a strong push to reinforce, in the name of “recovery”, fossil-fuel based, extractivist, profit-oriented, and corporate-led models of growth and development. If left unchallenged, such paradigms will further heighten the vulnerability of peoples’ and communities, particularly in the global South, to economic meltdowns, pandemics, climate disasters, conflict, and militarism. In this context, the side event aims to answer the following questions:
- What are the imperatives for tilting the balance to ensure that the crises instead bring forth the needed transformative measures and reforms to support fossil-fuel free, equitable, inclusive, sustainable and peaceful and just future?
- How should global development cooperation in response to the Covid-19 crisis contribute to enable countries to meet their commitments under 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Paris Climate Agreement, and similar global frameworks and pacts?
- Jahangir Masum, Executive Director, Coastal Development Partnership – Bangladesh
- Sonny Africa, Executive Director, IBON Foundation – Philippines
- Georgina Munoz Pavon, Chairperson, Reality of Aid Network | Executive Director, RENICC – Nicaragua
- Firas Jaber, Al-Marsad – Palestine
- Mariam Al Jaajaa, Arab Group for the Protection of Nature (APN) – Palestine
The event is co-organized by Reality of Aid Network, IBON International, CPDG, RENICC, ARCADE, CDP, and Al-Marsad.
The webinar will have English and Spanish Interpretation.
Session will take place on Zoom and livestreamed on Facebook.
To register, please click HERE.